The 45th edition of the Nike Melbourne Marathon Festival 2023 is only nine and a half months away. That leaves plenty of time to focus on your training and get to your elite level.
The return of elite international runners sparked the course in the Melbourne Marathon 2020, and the event delivered a spectacular atmosphere leaving the thousands of cheering crowds wanting more.
● Date: 15, Sunday, October 2023
● Distance: 26.2 Miles/42.195km
● Start: 7:00 am
● Cut-Off Window: 2:00 pm
● Participants: TBA
● Start Line: Batman Avenue
● Finish: Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG)
● Age: 18+ years
● Timothy Kiplagat Ronoh (KEN): 2:09:12 (2022)
● Sinead Diver (AUS): 2:25:19 (2028)
Entry Fees + Add-ons
Registrations are currently ongoing
● Early Bird: Ends 23, March 2023, Thursday noon
● Standard: Ends 7, June 2023, Thursday noon
● Final Entries: 16, July 2023, (30 minutes to race start)
● Entry Price: $160
● Race Bib
● Finishers Medal
The Nike Melbourne Marathon Festival 2023 will support the inclusion of domestic and neighboring New Zealand elite runners. The surge of local talent has seen many Australians achieve greater accolades in Commonwealth Games, World Championships, and Olympics than they have managed in previous domestic competitions.
The Melbourne Marathon 2023 has elite support packages for athletes that meet these qualifications from January 1, 2022.
● Men: Tier1: sub 2:15 Tier 2: sub 2:19
● Women: Tier1: sub 2:34 Tier2: sub 2:40
● Men: Tier1: 1:02 Tier2: sub 1:05
● Women: Tier1: 1:11 Tier2: sub 1:14
Important: All applications are subject to check to ensure the validity of submission times. No incomplete applications will be considered.
Standard entry runners can qualify for a preferred start via the official website application. A preferred start puts you in the following line behind the elite field. However, you must be eligible for a preferred start by showing proof of your qualifying times from events since January 1, 2021.
● Men: Open: sub 2:45 Over 40: sub 2:55 Over 50: sub 3:05
● Women: Open: sub 3:05 Over 40: sub 3:15 Over 50: sub 3:25
Details for preferred starts application should include:
● Date of race
● Official name
Qualifying times will be verified for validity. Applicants will receive an automated response in their marathon account profiles for receipt of the application. Approval slots will be issued at a later date.
Slow Course Option
Not all participants can achieve fast times at the event. 5+ hour runners can register for a slow pace marathon. The cut-off time is after the 22km of the marathon, and runners who won't have reached that point by 9:40 am will be redirected to another part of the course and handed special wrist bands for identification.
The redirection takes them to Fitzroy St, away from Beaconsfield Parade, where they can run 1.3km loops six times before heading to finish the race at the MCG designated finish line.
Redirected runner' cut-off time is 7 hours to cross the finish line to guarantee an official recorded result.
The redirection is optional, and runners are advised to cooperate with officials looking to meet traffic requirements and faster road re-openings.
The redirected course is measured and certified according to AIMS standards.
Race Bibs Information
Early registrations before Wednesday, June 7, 2023, at noon will have their names printed on their bibs. Bib collection is available from:
● Monday 26, June 2023: 12:00 pm to Thursday, 14, July 2023.
Pick-up locations are
● Sole Motive CBD store (148 Little Collins Street, CBD)
● Sole Motive Store Hawthorn (757 Glenferrie Road, Hawthorn)
Nike Melbourne Marathon Festival 2023 Prize Money
● 1st: $20,000
● 2nd: $7,000
● 3rd: $4,000
● 4th: $2,000
● 5th: $1,000